Treatment to remove fluid retention in lupus is available, but should be based on the root cause. Follow me to get more facts about this condition.
How does lupus cause fluid retention?
Lupus, or SLE (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus) is an autoimmune disease that can cause inflammation on kidneys. When kidneys are damaged, it is called “Lupus Nephritis”. Therefore, extra fluid cannot be removed by kidneys adequately, leading to fluid-retention.
In addition, certain medicines such as steroids prescribed for lupus patients may also cause side effects, and swelling (fluid retention) is one the common seen problems.
You can send your test report to us at email@example.com or leave a message below. Our doctor on duty can help you analyze it and give you some suggestions for free.
What are the treatments to remove fluid retention?
● Diet restriction. Lupus patients with fluid retention should limit the sodium and water intake. For those who have impaired kidney function, they also need to reduce protein intake.
● Activity. People with slight swelling should avoid strenuous activities, and those with heavy swelling need a rest. Elevating the legs is helpful for relieving feet or ankle edema.
● Keep trace of fluid amount, including fluid intake, food consumption and urine output in 24 hours. The body weight should also be recorded.
● Massage. In some case, massage on is helpful for fluid flowing to other parts of the body. Taking a hot&cold towel wrapped around swollen parts.
● Diuretics. In some cases, medicines such as diuretics are necessary for relieving fluid-retention in lupus. Consult your doctor in cases of side effects of overdose.
● Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). Dandelion, nettle leaf and corn silks are all natural diuretic herbs that can be used for lupus patients. In addition, some external applications are also helpful. If you are interested in our natural therapies, you are welcomed to leave a message below.