Moringa seeds are obtained from the pods of moringa tree and moringa seeds are known for their rich nutritions and medical value. However, can patients with FSGS eat moringa seeds?
FSGS (focal segmental glomerulosclerosis) is a kidney disorder in which glomeruli become inflamed and scarred. The glomeruli serve as filters, helping get rid of unnecessary or harmful substances. When kidneys are damaged, various symptoms will occur, such as high blood pressure, swelling, proteinuria, urinary tract infection and so on. As FSGS is a relatively serious type of Nephritic Syndrome, so diet is important aspect for recovery of the disease.
The principles of dietary for FSGS patient.
1. Limit intake of protein. (foods with high-quality protein are allowed.)
2. Limit intake of sodium.
3. Limit intake of fat and cholesterol.
4. Ingest enough vitamins.
The benefits of moringa seeds for patients with FSGS are as following:
1. Moringa seeds contains various vitamins, like vitamin A and vitamin C. Moringa seeds can strengthen patients’ immune system, repair mucus membrane and take optimal care of eyes.
2. The anti-inflammatory properties of moringa seeds can curb down inflammation, reduce soreness and perk up of physical joints in case of severe bone disorders.
3. Moringa seeds are a good source of iron which is an important component of red blood cells. Moringa seeds can provide enough iron to prevent iron-deficiency (anemia).
4. The anti-cancer effects of moringa seeds are also quite well-known. They can stop the growth and development of cancer cells.
5. Moringa seeds are full of calcium. Healthy kidneys are in charge of keeping electrolyte and acid base balance. If kidneys cannot work properly, phosphorus level in the blood will increase easily. The more phosphorus in the blood, the lower calcium level. Moringa seeds can supply calcium of the body needs to regulate phosphorus level.
6. Besides, moringa seeds can maintain blood sugar and blood pressure within a normal range. And they can enhance metabolic rate and improve functions of livers and kidneys. And moringa seeds contribute to improving sleep quality.
To sum up, moringa seeds indeed have many benefits for FSGS patients, but it does not mean that all patients can consume them freely because of their high protein and high potassium. Therefore, patients should pay attention to dietary details and ask for dietitians for more specific diet so as to make better recovery.