For patients with Focal Segmental Glomerulus Sclerosis, their disease can damage their glomeruli gradually, and that can reduce patient’s GFR directly.
In fact, FSGS is a kidney disease which often cause nephrotic syndrome, which can promote the progression of FSGS obviously. As we can imagine, if FSGS is diagnosed earlier, it will be controlled more easily. However, FSGS is a chronic kidney disease, which is hard for patients to notice their disease when they are in the early stage. Well then, if patients suspect they have this disease, how to diagnose if it is FSGS?
How to diagnose FSGS?
FSGS will cause damage in glomeruli partially, and that make it is hard to diagnose this disease, and it is essential for patients to take renal biopsy to make sure their disease.
The pathological alteration caused by FSGS is very similar with some other kidney diseases, like minimal change disease, so it is necessary to take renal biopsy to make sure whether it is FSGS. Besides, FSGS cause damage in glomeruli partially, so it may cause misdiagnose when the renal tissues are not taken appropriately, and patients may need to have twice renal biopsy at this point.
What features do patients with FSGS often have?
To diagnose FSGS, it is necessary for patients to know the features that often appear in patients body, which can help patients to judge whether they have FSGS.
1. FSGS can cause kidney damage and hypertension when patients are in the early stage of FSGS.
2. The ratio of microscopic hematuria is very high in patients with FSGS, and about two thirds FSGS patients can have microscopic hematuria.
3. FSGS patients mainly have non-selective proteinuria,while minimal change disease mainly causes selective proteinuria.
4. Have bad reaction to hormone treatment, and some patients will have hormone resistance when patients are in the late stage of FSGS.
5. The IgG level reduces obviously, and its losing amount from blood is more than its amount in urine.
These are some common features of FSGS, which can help patients to diagnose whether their kidney disease is FSGS.