Many patients who are on dialysis due to End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) may be required to lose weight during this process. This is challenging and take time to show effects. This article is to help you to design dialysis diet to lose weight. Any questions, please email to email@example.com or consult our doctors online directly.
Why do you have to lose weight?
If you are overweight or obese and on dialysis, you may benefit from weight loss for the following reasons:
- Better blood sugar control, if you have diabetes
- Better blood pressure control
- Decreased cholesterol and triglyceride levels
- Increase energy
- Qualification for a kidney transplant
How to lose weight in dialysis?
Here are some tips, and you can chose several of them as you like.
- Order salad dressing on the side. Dip your fork in the salad dressing; then spear a lettuce leaf to save 3 to 5 teaspoons of fat.
- Chill gravies, sauces, and soups, then remove the hardened fat—or use a fat separating ladle.
- Buy lean cuts of meat and try roasting, broiling, or grilling to cut fat.
- Watch serving sizes on breads, chips, and crackers.
- Plan for dessert once or twice a week, and look forward to it!
- Bake onion rings, chicken, and fish instead of frying them. Try butter-flavored cooking spray to add fried flavor.
- Poach chicken or fish in wine, water, or homemade low-salt broth.
- Avoid creamed, fried, scalloped, au gratin, or battered vegetables—instead, try steaming, stewing, or boiling them, and seasoning with fresh herbs.
- Eat just the filling and skip the crust when you have pie..
- Drink water instead of soda (within your limits).