Is star fruit OK for kidney disease patients who are on dialysis? No, this fruit can end your life! It is not a joke.
Here is the case. In Shenzhen, more than 10 people who consumes the star fruit had died. And now a 66-year-old, Malaysian who has been suffering from kidney ailment fell into coma after eating the start fruits. Yes, all it takes is one fruit or 100ml of its juice and the ordinarily harmless star fruit transforms poison in a matter of hours for kidney patients.
Take another surgery as an example. Six patients in a dialysis programme are observed. After ingestion of 2-3 fruits or 150-200 ml of the fruit juice, the six patients who had previously been stable in a regular dialysis, developed a variety of symptoms. These symptoms rang from insomnia and hiccups to agitation, mental confusion and (in one case) death.
The problem seems to be the high levels of oxalic acid (or oxalate) in this fruit that can accumulate in weakened kidneys. As kidneys are extremely severely damaged, they cannot filter excess oxalate accumulation. But it is likely that another toxin in star fruit is also problematic since common foods such as spinach contain even greater levels of oxalic acid and do not seem to be associated with this severe problem.
The Brazilian researchers think that star fruit contains a substance toxic to nerves (a neurotoxin). People with healthy kidneys probably clear this toxin from the blood quickly and experience no problem. Without efficient kidney function, the combined effect of oxalate and a neurotoxin may deliver a double whammy.
To sum up, patients with impaired kidney function should avoid start fruit. If you need a kidney-friendly diet plan, you can email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message below. This online consultation is free.