Nowadays, Chinese foods become more and more popular around the world. Chinese vegetables have been common in the meal list in foreign countries. However, for someone who has diabetes, there are some diet restrictions for them. They should be careful to choose which vegetables are good. I would like to introduce you several Chinese vegetables for diabetics.
1. Bok Choy (Bai Cai)
It is the most popular vegetable in China. Bok choy has a light, sweet flavor and crisp texture. Bok choy (also called pak choi) is used to enhance everything from soups to stir-fries. Nutritionally, like most leafy green vegetables, bok choy is a good source of iron. It is also high in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and calcium.
You need bok choy 300g and milk 150g. You can boil bok choy and then drain off the water. Then, put the bok choy with boiled milk into the pot, cooking for several minutes.
2. Chinese cabbage (Juan Xin Cai)
Chinese cabbages are very low in calories and high in fibers. Cabbage is also rich in vitamin C, which reduces the risk of developing diabetes. Red cabbage is rich in anthocyanins, a natural pigment that boost insulin production.
Great stir-fried with your choice of sauce and condiment, in salads or pickled.
3. Chinese Broccoli (Xi Lan Hua)
Eating broccoli could reverse the damage that diabetes inflicts on heart blood vessels. The key is most likely a compound in the vegetable called sulforaphane. Sulforaphane encourages production of enzymes that protect the blood vessels, and reduces the number of molecules that cause cell damage -- known as Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS), which will increase the blood sugar level.
- Combine the broccoli with 3 cups of water in a non-stick deep pan and cook on a medium flame for 5to 7 minutes.
- When cool, blend them in a mixer till smooth.
- Heat the butter in a non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the mashed broccoli and milk and cornflour mixture, and mix well and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or till it thickens.
- Add the salt and pepper, mix well and simmer for another minute.