Muscle cramps, especially leg cramps, are quite common for patients with Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease, Stage 4 CKD. Many kidney patients complain they have trouble staying asleep at night because of muscle cramps. For this reason, we should find out the underlying cause and take correct treatments timely.
Causes of muscle cramps in Stage 4 CKD
As introduced by kidney experts, several conditions can provoke muscle cramps for kidney patients, including:
- Poor blood circulation: When kidneys fail to produce enough EPO, fewer red blood cells are made and then less blood and oxygen is transported into muscles, resulting in muscle cramps.
- Fluid and electrolyte imbalances: Firstly, low calcium level and low magnesium level can cause muscle cramps. Then, if patients have frequent nausea and vomiting or diarrhea, the heavy loss of fluid and electrolyte can also cause muscle cramps.
- Nerve damage: As more and more toxins build up in the body, they may cause damage to nerve. Besides, if patients’ kidney disease is caused by diabetes, nerve damage is quite common.
Treatments of muscle cramps for Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease patients
The effective treatments should depend on the causes. According to the above causes, we give out the following suggestions for these patients.
- Keep a close eye on your electrolyte levels: Kidney disease patients are always recommended to do physical examination regularly. From the blood test report, you can know which electrolyte is abnormal and then you can take corresponding medications to control it.
- Improve your blood circulation: Some traditional Chinese medicines have the effects of activation blood and improving the blood circulation all over the body. Besides, Medicated Bath is also helpful to deal with muscle cramps caused by poor blood circulation.
- Manage kidney disease complications timely: No matter which symptoms you have, tell your doctor and manage the underlying cause that can help prevent worse conditions.