Generally, in late stage of kidney disease, patients have frequent urination. However, frequent urination does not always mean kidney disease. It can be caused by many other factors.
Causes of frequent urination
● Urinary tract infection: Frequent urination is always accompanied by fever, an urgent need to urinate and pain or discomfort in the abdomen.
● Diabetes: An abnormal large amount of urine is often seen in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes diabetes.
● Prostate problems: An enlarged prostate can press against urethra and block the flow of urine. This condition stimulate the bladder to contract, causing more frequent urination.
● Interstitial cystitis: Frequent and urgent urination is the common symptom. It is also characterized by pain in the bladder and pelvic region.
● Diuretic use: These medicines are used to lower high blood pressure and relieve swelling in kidney disease patients. Since it works by flushing excess fluid from the body, thus causing frequent urination.
Treatment for frequent urination
● Monitoring fluid intake: You should not reduce fluid intake since you have frequent urination because it may cause constipation and over-concentration of urine. However, you should avoid drinking just before bedtime, which can lead to frequent urination at nigh.
● Diet restriction: You should avoid foods like caffeine beverages, alcohol, carbonated drinks, tomato-based products, chocolate, artificial sweeteners, and spicy foods. They can irritate your bladders and cause frequent urination.
● Medications: You should do a urine or blood test to check your kidney function. You can send your test report to us, and our experts can help you analyze it and give you some suggestions. In our hospital, Shijiazhuang Kidney Disease Hospital, we treat kidney disease mainly by Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), which can improve blood circulation and enhance kidney function. If you are interested in our therapies, please be free to contact us.