Is diarrhea a sign of kidney disease? Not definitely. Kidney disease can cause diarrhea, but diarrhea does not indicate kidney disease. Take a look at the causes of diarrhea, and you will know the reason.
Common causes of diarrhea include:
1. Viruses. People with a low immunity are more prone to be attacked by viruses, like children and the old.
2. Bacteria and parasites. Contaminated food or water can transmit bacteria and parasites to your body.
3. Medications. Many medications can cause diarrhea. The most common are antibiotics. Antibiotics destroy both good and bad bacteria, which can disturb the natural balance of bacteria in your intestines. This disturbance sometimes leads to an infection with bacteria so that diarrhea occurs.
4. Lactose intolerance. Lactose is a sugar found in milk and other dairy products. Many people have difficulty digesting lactose and experience diarrhea after eating dairy products.
5. Fructose. Fructose, a sugar found naturally in fruits and honey and added as a sweetener to some beverages, can cause diarrhea in people who have trouble digesting it.
6. Artificial sweeteners. They are always found in chewing gum and other sugar-free products and can cause diarrhea in some otherwise healthy people.
7. Surgery. Some people may experience diarrhea after undergoing abdominal surgery or gallbladder removal surgery.
8. Other digestive disorders. Chronic diarrhea has a number of other causes, such as Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, celiac disease, microscopic colitis and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
How does kidney disease cause diarrhea?
For people with kidney disease, their kidneys have failed to discharge excessive wastes and toxins since the glomeruli are damaged with low filtration rate. Those useless and harmful substances will be carried to other parts of the body and then deposit in those area. When the gastrointestinal tract is attacked, diarrhea occurs.
Now you may know the relationship between diarrhea and kidney disease. Now you can contact us for some suggestions to deal with your condition. Our experts online are available. If not, you can leave a message below, and we will reply you within 24 hours.